Complaining to the Victorian Ombudsman


You can complain to the Victorian Ombudsman if you are unhappy about the way you have been treated by:

  • a state government department
  • a statutory authority
  • a local council
  • a private agency that carries out statutory responsibilities of government.

When you make a complaint to the Ombudsman, she can look into it, tell you what occurred and whether it was reasonable or unreasonable; she can also make recommendations to the government authority about its conduct.

How to complain

Any member of the public can complain. Complaints may also be made by a group of persons, a company or a partnership.

Before complaining to the Ombudsman, you should first try to resolve your complaint with the organisation concerned.

If you are unsure as to whether your complaint can be considered, please contact the Ombudsman for advice.